Piano Finder Fee

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:00:16 EST

Terry
    I've actually done this many, many times  Terry.
   If I don't have the piano in possession & my  job is to represent the
piano as purchase worthy & I'm just hooking up two  people with good information &
the results of the inspection , It's  usually  between 3% to10%. A lot
depends on your/my efforts. Sometimes I  meet the clients at the place where the
piano is stored & sometimes multiple  clients which take time. I also won't
represent anything I don't like or if I do  on occasion it gets many qualifying
statements such as , this is what it is  but its not that etc.
   We should be compensated for our time ,  integrity & reputation. I'm
humbled &  honored that most people  come to me because they trust my opinion and
such  case with  you  brethren.
    Trust is a sacred and also a valued  commodity & frankly it makes or
breaks any sale. SO if you have that kind of  weight & good will in the  bank of
public trust then your word &  opinion will make the deal. What that's worth
will vary.
  If I take a grand piano in on actual consignment then  the usual &
customary fees are between 25 & 35% of gross. This is  considering that is in sale
worth condition. If not repairs are in order &  not included otherwise  That
percentage quoted covers moves, tuning  advertising & time spent marketing etc.
Sometimes its a win &  sometimes not. I don't usually do this with upright as
there isn't usually  enough money in it
   Merry Christmas to all
   Dale

So it seems apparent to me that he is willing to  pay a finder's fee if I
find him a nice piano. I am aware that some  dealers will sell a piano for a
private owner on consignment. I don't  know what percentage is typical. I sold two
bicycles at two different stores  for a 25% consignment fee. I have a third
at another store that will charge a  15% consignment fee. What kind of
consignment fees do stores charge for a  piano sold on consignment. Is that any basis
for a finder's fee?

Has anyone done this sort of thing for a third  party? How did it work. What
were the financial arrangements?

Thanks.

Terry  Farrell