SawStop safety table saw

Allan Gilreath agilreath@mindspring.com
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:23:38 -0500

All,

I was waiting to say anything about this until I could provide some,
hopefully, relevant information.

The system was reviewed in Fine Woodworking's Tools and Shops 2005
issue, pages 66 & 67. The website for the company is www.sawstop.com.

The system is not available as a retrofit on any saw but is only
available on the SawStop brand saw which, in the article, is listed at
"$2,499 plus fence" (a new Delta Unisaw appears to be going for about
$1,800.) Once the system has been activated, the blade and the cartridge
(10" blade, $59 and 8" dado, $69) must be replaced. Further, the system
can be disabled by a keyed lock in case you're sawing a material (such
as green or wet lumber) that might activate the system inadvertently.

The inventor and his partners "submitted a petition to the Consumer
Product Safety Commission to initiate a ruling that would declare the
technology a performance standard."

There are also some very interesting figures on injuries from tablesaws
in the article which I won't copy here.

In our shop, all guards, etc. are required to be in place as well as
proper safety attired worn.  The bandsaws we use are larger than many of
those used by butchers. The routers and even Foredom or Dremel tools
spin at exceedingly high rates.  Chisels, planes and knives (in our
shop) are very sharp.

In addition, since this is not an add-on, can be disabled and requires
an action on the part of the user to replace the cartridge after
activation, I can see many instances where yet one more layer of
legislation makes someone feel like they've done something without
actually making a real affect.  We can't make everything in our lives
foolproof and we have to accept the responsibility for learning how to
use tools properly, maintaining them in proper condition and paying
attention at all times. It's easy to start at one point saying, "We'll
remove all danger!" but the reality pretty soon precludes this approach
as we're suddenly unable to tune pianos because of the danger of hearing
damage, unable to drive due to the chance of a wreck, unable to cut or
plane a piece of wood or even plug in a lamp (lots of danger in the bad
design of power plugs and outlets.)

There's a wonderful warning in toward the front of every issue of Fine
Woodworking that reminds us of the inherent dangers of the craft. It
might be a good idea for us all to post that on our shop walls.

I'm all for due care, technological advancement and safety first but
trying to initiate something by fiat will only cause more problems than
it solves.

Merry Christmas to all and may you have a safe, productive and happy New
Year!

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Allan Gilreath & Associates, Inc.
PO Box 1133