Third Bridge

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:51:04 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terry" <terry@farrellpiano.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 7:10 AM
Subject: Third Bridge

. . . .This is for those that might think a transition bridge is only to be
found on high-end 100+ year-old pianos and high-performance
recently-redesigned pianos.  . . . . .
Terry Farrell

    Not only that, but there is at least one piano (Goers & Kallman, London
and Berlin) that is (was) doubly overstrung, that is, the high bass and low
tenor range was on its own bridge and was strung at an angle over the low
treble, then the bass, with its own bridge of course, was strung over both
of those, making three levels of strings.  I'd hate to have to replace a
string on the lowest tier!!!  The piano was the shortest "grand" I've ever
seen, at 4'1" in length.  I think the contemporary console the owner had in
the next room had a larger soundboard and longer strings!
    --David Nereson, RPT