Bad Student Piano Insight

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 01:25:47 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terry" <terry@farrellpiano.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 6:45 AM
Subject: Bad Student Piano Insight

One question remains though: why hadn't her piano teacher of six years said
anything to the parents about the piano?

Many times the teacher never sees students' pianos, and the students don't
know it needs work, even if it's in pretty bad shape, especially if the
teacher's piano isn't much better!

I had a similar experience this year where the Dad was willing to dump $400
or more into reconditioning a 50-yr.-old Betsy Ross spinet [tuned 4 of those
just this week!] that had loose tuning pins, worn hammers, and needed a set
of elbows and the keys rebushed.  I thought, "What a waste -- why not put
the money toward a better piano?"  But no, they want to make sure their kid
is another Horowitz before they go out and spend even $1000 on a used
console that's at least decent, rather than atrocious.  This from an
upper-middle-class family with plenty of bucks for computer equipment,
brand-new SUV, stylish home decor, exclusive home in a covenant community,
etc.    Typical.
    --David Nereson, RPT