why sell maintenance the customer won't notice?

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:30:27 -0600

Dave:
=20
I've been very aware of this for a long time.  Many years ago a local =
Music Teachers Association thought their piano might need regulating and =
asked me about it.  I was the one who usually tuned their piano.  The =
regulation needed fell into the category you mention below.  I told them =
I thought they could wait as it wasn't that bad.  One teacher was quite =
insistent that regulation was needed and talked them into getting =
another technician to regulate it.  When he was done and they paid the =
bill, they were upset that they couldn't tell any difference.  Since =
that time I've been very careful about how I approach this kind of work. =
 If the needed work will prevent future wear I'll liken it to changing =
the oil on your car.  You won't notice much, but the car will. =20
=20
dave
=20
David M. Porritt, RPT