Bad Student Piano Insight

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:31:35 -0600

>  I seems to me piano
>teachers are more divorced from the instrument of the trade than these other
>instructors. I wonder why. I think that is what I might have been asking.
>Why is that?
>
>Terry Farrell

As always, no guarantee on the validity of my thoughts, but I still have a
few. The tennis and marksmanship instructors have likely been professional
performers for some years before becoming professional instructors. As
such, they spent a whole lot of time with their "instruments", maintaining,
tuning, and repairing them. The vast majority of the piano teachers I've
known aren't full time professional teachers, never made a nickel
performing on the instrument, and took up teaching because they could make
some money with virtually no personal cost in training, and very little in
materials (stickers and such). The tennis and marksmanship instructors use
instruments that are vastly simpler than those of the piano teacher, and
the knowledge required to minimally maintain these instruments is
considerably less. Yes, these instruments can be buried in a fog of
subjective mysticism just like pianos, but as basic tools, they are
relatively simple compared to pianos. The requirements of the instrument
are an important consideration here too. Both tennis and target shooting
are ballistics. Both require a rather high level of precision performance
as a minimal requirement. We are taught that we should clean, protect, and
pamper our firearms, and purchase new tennis rackets and balls
periodically, or possibly re-string our rackets if we are serious about our
performance. If a piano makes a noise when the key is depressed ("It's in
great shape - all the keys work"), it's just fine. We learn this in
childhood, and it is reinforced through "education" right up until the time
some suspect technician tells us that our piano is sub-standard. Pianos are
immortal, and never need service as long as all the keys work. Ask anyone.
The marksmen and tennis players that aren't serious, don't know their
instruments nearly as well as those that are. Pianists tend to be the same.
Dependance on an instrument for high performance levels demands greater
understanding of the instrument unless you wish your performance (and
livelihood) to be at the mercy of random circumstance. In teaching
(beginning) piano, performance is of little to no consequence. It's so much
a half hour to pound in the basics. Tennis and shooting can be taken up
with about fifteen minutes of quick briefing to tell you everything you
need to know to participate in the sport. Playing the piano badly is
somewhat more difficult to learn than pointing a firearm and pulling the
trigger, or smacking a tennis ball over the net, so many people never
progress far enough to get beyond the basics and into the desirability of
learning something about the instrument. But they can still teach.

Ron N