square grand tuning: fun

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:32:16 -0800

Bob Hull said: "This was my first square to tune.  It had just been
rebuilt and purchased from another state.  I took my
daughter to play the keys.  That sort of worked.  It's
hard to get someone else to play the keys and
intervals like you want.  The torque on the pins was
off the scale.  I would think 200+, so, very hard to
manipulate.  I hope those will loosen up with
subsequent tunings.   A couple of hammers grazed
strings on adjacent notes and there wasn't time to fix
those"
Bob et al,
It is my fervant wish, that this sort of "rebuilding" would simply go =
away, but alas, there is always some yahoo, out there, that thinks =
"Rebuilding" is a "do-it-yerself"/simple matter! Grrrr! It's unfortunate =
that you had to suffer that. AND, pity the poor "pianist" that had to =
try to entertain with such a mess. Truly Saddens me. I think this is one =
of the main reasons the Squar Grand has gotten a "Bad Rap". When =
Restoration is done properly, these instruments are truly a delight, =
albeit different. The sound of a properly restored Square or Square =
Grand is a trip down a unique historical path. I know I'm "preaching to =
the choir", so don't think I'm chastising any of you, because I'm not. =
It's just sad. :-(
Best Regards,
Best regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.