tool of the year

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:25:14 -0500

I've been thinking about what last purchases I want to make before the
end of the tax year (piano tech tools, office software, printer, etc.),
and thought I'd toss out my "best pick" of the year. I bought a tuning
lever from Charles Faulk several months ago, and am very satisfied with
the results. My last expensive tuning lever purchase was a Renner/Keith
Bowman one, but my notion of what constituted an ideal lever differed
with how my arm and shoulder felt about it. At that time I went for the
longer one with a dense hardwood handle. I seldom use it, or my Itoshin
lever, now.
The lever Charles recommended was one with a walnut handle -- lighter
than the other exotic woods he uses -- and in combination with the
titanium shaft it is really light, but quite rigid.
I've had really nasty tendonitis (or is it bursitis --who knows?)
problems with my tuning arm's shoulder, and this light but solid hammer
has really helped me get through the XMas mad rush with much less
discomfort.
Kinda like tennis rackets. I used heavy wooden rackets back in my
youth, but the titanium ones allow me to still enjoy playing
occasionally. I did dig the wooden one out one weekend and surprised my
pals with the power of the service I got out of it, but my arm and
shoulder were burning for a couple days after.
Best wishes,
Patrick Draine