replacing a Bluthner action

Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:18:01 +0100

Don wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Why not retro fit it with the magnetic type action--that way you will be
>able to "dial up" what the player wants.

I would not advise this at all.  I'm really opposed to the whole idea of
so called adjustable touchweight systems. These typically do not really
adjust anything but static touchweight, and the resulting touch
characteristics are really unknown quantities that havent been all that
closely looked at yet.

Find a  BW and ratio that provide the basic touch characteristics you
feel with best provide pianists what they are after, and execute that in
an action rebuild, remembering that physical touchweight is inextricably
tied to voicing concerns.

Cheers
RicB