Feeling Dumb, Whatzis?

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:50:12 -0600

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C4EDDF.9CDCEA30
I took two of these out of an 1890 Kranich & Bach upright (a beauty!).
=20
Time has gone by and I now have a problem: I can't figure out what they =
are
or where the heck they were in the piano!
=20
They are brass with machine screw threads (not wood screw) and either =
were
round at the tip or had a chisled point that has worn, somewhat.
=20
They are NOT the action-to-plate bolts.=20
=20
The keybed and key rails are typical upright, i.e., glued and screwed; =
no
shifting or adjusting there. The hammer rest rail has its own small
regulating screws.=20
=20
This piano has a removeable action that does not include the whippens or
key-to-whippen stickers which are on a separate rail about 4 inches =
above
the key ends, with the stickers stuck to the keys by pieces of bushing =
felt
(!) clamped under little brass tabs, a.k.a., brass rail plates. There =
are
separate, flanged stickers that ride freely atop the whippens and are
attached to the butts with bird's eyes and brass pins. The lower,
whippen/sticker, rail is not adjustable: It is screwed onto the back of =
long
cheek extensions on each end of the piano. The upper action assembly is =
more
conventional and looks "normal" except for the lack of whippens. It is
cradled in three places on extensions cast into the frame, then held in
place by large knurled brass screws, not unlike these in appearance.
=20
The trapwork is wooden levers in a fairly conventional setup--no place =
for
brass regulating screws, here.=20
=20
These puppies sure look like they regulate something ... but what?
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
=20