Recycled technology-cutoff bar

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:53:09 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0047_01C4EEA9.304AD1F0
Or if the original cut-off bar didn't cut enough off! - But I used new =
wood, so you still win!   ;-)

Terry Farrell

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 1:03 PM
  Subject: Recycled technology-cutoff bar

    List
       I find this kind of thing fun when I can take a beautiful piece =
of previously engineered something and adapt it to something else saving =
big time & cash & utilizing something that originally was very expensive =
to make & end up with a nice result
    A client brought in a 1900 ish Baldwin upright that ended up needing =
more than it first appeared, including a board. It wasn't worth doing so =
the decision was made to scrap it. The tech who brought in the job =
wanted the beams & such for the maple & I'll be able to salvage the =
spruce in the lam. beams also.=20
      The real jewel though was that this piano had a laminated =
soundboard liner just like Mason or Stwy grands & uprights ( not as =
thick as a grand ).  I managed to get it off in nearly one piece with =
crow bars, chisels & an Oklahama speed wrench.
      Now coincidently I'm replacing the board in a 6 ft. 1 inch Mason =
AA no. 28,246  which has ribs so long a cutoff bar was really a =
necessity.   =20
      The old Upright board liner had plenty of stock for this & by =
fashioning it to fit the corner of the AA I was able to install a =
straight 28 inch cut off bar that reduced the overall length of 6 ribs =
as much as 13.5 inches. My longest rib was 50" & one of the  longest =
I've ever witnessed in any piano. This rib is now about 37.5 inches =
long. I don't believe its possible to use ribs this long and expect =
crown support for very long. Although my observations of the  AA's is =
limited the 13 rib scale has shown the crown has not survived even with =
tension resonator claims. Hence the few AA boards I've seen  are usually =
quite flat. The sound of this piano though fair was quite lack luster in =
its tonal appeal if you know what I mean even though the board was not =
seriously cracked up
     The Mason AA has a very wide body & hence very long ribs for a 6 ft =
1" piano
     The original rib scale was as follows on the left
     For clarity the measurements below are the actual rib speaking =
length not including the piece in the notches.
    =20
     1. 30       in inches
     2. 37
     3. 45 --------38  modified length
     4. 50 --------37.5
     5. 46  -------35.5
     6. 40 --------32.5 =20
     7. 34 --------29.5
     8. 28 --------27
     9. 28
    10. 20
    11.18
    12. 15
    13. 13
    It's easy to see there is far more hopes for the longevity of rib & =
crown stiffness than the previous scale. this mod also get the bridge =
more nearly centered over the long ribs which is IMO a good thing.This =
original bridge also has the  transition bridge with all the usual funky =
tri-chords. It's receiving a modified trans. bridge with bi-chord =
replacements.
    I'll let you know how it turns out in a month or so. The action is =
done & case stripped. The parts are in the finish process waiting for =
the belly man to get it done so my finish guy(Roy) can have the case & =
plate.
     Good new year to all
      Dale Erwin
     =20