damper wires hitting string

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:01:38 EST

Richard writes:
<<  a ringing in one of
the dampers in the upper treble. I determined it was hitting the string on a
hard blow.

Removed the damper a bent the wire to avoid contact. It now looks a little
off
center but is not ringing.

 finds four more in the extreme treble. I
noticed that the bushings were sticking up thru the hole about 1/8" on all
the
dampers. Is this common on Steinways?  Can you suggest the proper procedure
for eliminating the ringing dampers? >>

  Greetings,
    Most STeinways have excessive side pressure in the bushings. The dampers
travel straight, but they saw their way laterally, finally getting too close
to the string and ringing.  I have found the pressure to vary from one
direction to the other.
   You may find that a slight easing of the bends will allow the damper wire
to move away from the strings, or you may need to remove and reglue the felt
so that the wire will be farther from the string when the felt is seated.  Most
often, I can change the offset of the wire to the damperhead by those top two
bends in the wire, right at the damper head.  This will move the head and
felt to the side, allowing the wire to be located farther from the string.
  Good luck,

Ed Foote RPT