A new used instrument and WURZEN FELT

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:34:43 +0100

On 20-feb-04, at 20:13, Richard Brekne wrote:

> antares wrote:
>
>> Ricardo,
>> You know my answer loud and clear.
>> (;
>
> I sure do... and that weighs very heavily in my mind. Still... its a=20=

> NY bird and there is always this issue about what things were meant to=20=

> be vs what someone else thinks they <<could>> be.

So let me tell you this :

Just two days ago I made an appraisal for a customer who owns a fifties=20=

(1958) NY Steinway S.
It was an interesting experience.
I noticed the following : The hammers were very crude and totally worn=20=

out, the sound was harsh and had nothing to do with the Steinways we=20
know from Hamburg.
The keys were made of a cheap looking wood, like cigar box wood, and=20
the holes in the balance rail were huge.
Just 1 Month ago, we repaired a similar NY Steinway O. The keys were of=20=

the same soft wood and the bushing holes were so wide that we had to=20
use an extremely thick cloth to make new bushings.
The dampers were totally different looking. In the treble they were all=20=

flat dampers and very hard, and it had no trichords at all.
It looked and sounded like an instrument that could be improved a great=20=

deal with new strings, new and better dampers, new bushings, and new=20
hammers.

Let me say this again : The best hammer felt ever made was the so=20
called Weickert felt, produced around the end of 1800 and the early=20
1900's.
Before the Commies got in, the name changed and from then on it was=20
called Wurzen, after the place where it was fabricated (just North of=20
Leipzig in eastern Germany).
This felt was sold all over the world and it had certain very refined=20
qualities.
What were those refined qualities? It had an extremely remarkable=20
resilience, needed very little voicing, and, in the history of felt=20
making there never before had been a better quality.
This felt was widely used by all the famous piano makers and hammer=20
makers. Name any well know maker in old Europe, they used Weickert=20
felt.
Because of eastern Germany becoming a satellite state of the Soviet=20
Union, the factory no longer produced the finest piano felt ever, but=20
instead was used for purely industrial felt and it was the end of a=20
truly wonderful product, and the beginning of carton-like and harsh=20
sounding piano hammers.

After the reunion of the two Germanies, a family member of the former=20
Wurzen factory owner came back and was able to regain his heritage thru=20=

the so called 'Treuhand', a special law which made it possible to buy=20
or regain lost properties.
This was at the end of the 1980's and it is now more than 10 years=20
later and I can tell you that the Wurzen factory now again makes the=20
very same high quality felt for piano hammers.

I have used Wurzen felt since the early 1990's and I have heard and=20
seen the developments.
In my personal opinion as a voicing technician, this felt is far=20
superior over any other felt in the World (I have used them all).
That is the main reason why I have written so many e-mails about it and=20=

why I have urged my colleagues to wake up and try it.
The Renner factory uses about 90 % Wurzen felt and the quality hammers=20=

it makes for the European market are the very best.
We design our own hammers and we discuss the whole process with Renner,=20=

resulting in the finest hammers available.
No more cardboard felt, no more endless voicing with sometimes 100 jabs=20=

(or more) with three needles on both sides.
No hammer dopes, nor steaming.
The resilience is fantastic and the outcome is predictable, thanks to a=20=

very refined technique and a superb brand new felting press, designed=20
and used by Renner.
This felting press makes it possible to make a superbly controlled=20
product and is the final answer for refinement.

We (grand Piano) have used these new hammers and we have never before=20
had such a fine result.
It makes it very clear that hammers are the crown jewels of any=20
instrument. They make or break a tone, provided the voicing tech knows=20=

his job.
We also have used Wurzen since the early 1990's and it is remarkable=20
how well this hammer felt holds.
The latest and finest quality Wurzen felt is the continuation of a=20
superb process, started more than a hundred years ago.

> The owner will end up making the final call... I just want to be able=20=

> to influence her.... fairly. :)

Maybe this little story will help you.

)(; >))

friendly greetings