OT-Weird town names - was Young Chang......

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Fri, 02 Jan 2004 14:19:51 -0700

At 01:59 PM 1/2/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>John,
>
>That' probably Guy Nichols who frequently calls where he lives
>"Ft. Stinkin' Desert". Or something like that. Sorry if I got it
>wrong, Guy! :-)
>
>Avery

No need to apologize, little fella. "Ft. Stinkin' Desert" is a nickname,
borrowed from Firesign Theater. Las Cruces, NM, core of my service area, is
often nicknamed "Stinky Town" by passing truckers. There are dairys coming
in from one direction, and a waste treatment plant from another. On the
other hand, I didn't even join in the OT town listings, because, well....
just look at map of New Mexico.... it's an almost endless supply of odd
names. From "Truth or Consequences" to "Weed" to "Road Forks" and....
well... "Cheechigeetho"...three "Coyotes" (that we know of)...and "Elephant
Butte"..."Loco Hills"... a bunch of "_____ Junction"s...."Bent"....almost
every mineral... more "San"s than you can count...and of course "Miami" and
"Las Vegas". The Spaniards, Native Americans, and United States Military
have done a heck of job over the last four hundred years.
     And to keep a smidgen of piano relevance, I'm surprised nobody has
mentioned "French Lick", Indiana.

Later,
Guy