Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:46:15 -0500

Dale wrote:
>  Ron
>   I just wanted to say publicly--Thanks . This is a great clarifying
> summary. Clarification is always enlightening. Your post also points out
> that "the confusion that remains is still how all this stuff
> mechanically relates" which is true. At the end of the day we have to
> put all this into a useful sytematic practice in rebuilding the actions
> we all work on.These discussion  increase our confidence secure better
> results for us & perfromance benifits for our clients.

Dale,

Several people have complained that this material has just brought more
  confusion to our understanding of the grand action. That's
understandable since the study of the dynamic action is at least ten
time more involved that studying the static action. It took many years
for the simple static principles Stanwood has developed to be accepted
and understood. I would expect these dynamic principles to take a lot
longer. The task is especially daunting since getting a mental grasp of
how it works requires familiarity with math and physics. I expect that
most piano technician's would need to bone up on high school level
algebra and physics to gain access to this knowledge.

Even though this is going to be a lot of work, as you said, it can be
accomplished one step at a time. The first step is getting the notion of
moment of inertia clear in ones mind. Envision a cylinder attached to an
axle with a rope wrapped around it. We pull on the rope and the cylinder
rotates around its axle. If the cylinder is made from a light material
like wood, it is easy to pull the rope. If it is made from a heavy
material like steal, it will be hard to pull the rope. The moment of
inertia describes how hard it is to pull the rope and get the cylinder
to move. Knowing the MOI of the cylinder and the radius we can predict
how hard it is to move. We can also know how much tension there is in
the rope. With a high MOI the tension is high and with a low MOI the
tension is low.

"What the heck does this have to do with pianos John?". Well, if the MOI
of the action is high it will feel harder to play. I am not sure if the
player could feel this with playing cords slowly at various dynamic
levels but it will certainly feel hard to play scales and fast passages.
Let's imagine a room full of our cylinders each with a rope attached.
Your job is to pull each of these ropes in fast order. It will be a lot
easier if they are made of wood rather than steel.

But what about balance weight? Use the cylinder again, but this time
wrap another rope around the back side and attach a weight. have a shelf
for the weight to rest on. Now when you pull the rope you have a weight
to lift along with the inertia of the cylinder. The cylinder doesn't
move until the weight is lifted. Go back to the room of cylinders. Would
you like to have the wood cylinders with a heavy weight attached or the
steel ones with lighter weights?

One of the things learned from studying MOI is just what Balance weight
does. It determines (along with friction and let off resistants) the
minimum force to move the action. The total force after that is
determined by the force required to accelerated the action minus the
force of the BW. At very soft levels of playing the BW will be a
significant part of the total force while at forceful levels the balance
weight is insignificant. Through the dynamic range of playing the force
needed to accelerate the action increases while force to overcome the BW
stays the same.

Hope this attempt at a non math explanation helps.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979