Moment of Inertia of grand action parts.

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 08:36:57 -0500

I think the key to making a usable system is going to lie in distilling the
results and automating the calculations.  For example, most rotating shapes
have a moment of inertia that looks like M*L^2/C where C is some constant
particular to that shape.  For a thin rod rotating around its center, C=12.
For a thin rod rotating around one end, C=3.  I believe that there is a
value for C that gives a good approximation for a piano key (less leads)
within a few percent.  Maybe you need different C's for black/white keys, or
different types of pianos.  Likewise, for a hammer and shank, I believe that
a formula for MOI based on SW, radius and total mass can be empirically
derived (based on taking lots of measurements of actual MOI) that will be
quite usable, and will not require the user of the formula to measure MOI
directly (these are not easy to measure, but it IS doable).

Using these types of estimates and some software to perform the
calculations, I believe reasonable estimates of total action MOI can be made
that will give a useful picture of whether an action feels light or heavy.
We may just end up learning that Stanwood's recommendations for combinations
of SW and SWR are right on target and perfectly adequate.  We may learn
additional useful things.  Who knows until someone tries?  I would say the
work already done suggests that small variations in SWR are probably of more
concern than small variations in key MOI.

Usability will require that someone do much work up front in order to make
and keep such a system usable for the rest.  This is not work that the
typical tech has the time or inclination to do, but that doesn't mean it's
not doable or that people will not use the results if they are made
accessible and offer the opporunity build a better piano.

-Mark