Ivory keytops

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:14:41 EST

In a message dated 1/2/2004 6:16:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rstrang@pa.inter.net writes:
Hello, list,
   Once again, I learned a big lesson the very hard way, so I thought I'd
share my grief with you all.
   I worked on an old player upright last night. It was a 1907 variety, but
someone in California had rebuilt it very well. Why? Who knows? But it was
in very good shape, and close to pitch.
   All the ivory keytops, the squares, were coming off. about 15 had been
off for quite some time, but the customer had saved them and gave them to me
to glue back on. I also gave a tug at all the rest that had not come off yet
and found that most of them were loose. I got out my trusty PVC-E glue and
proceeded to glue them all back on.
   My big mistake? The glue paints on very white and pretty, and I took it
for granted that it would dry that way and would hide the finger prints and
other imperfections that were on the top of the keys that had not had a
keytop on for a while. When I started taking the rubber bands off and
reinstalling the keys, I got a big surprise. PVC-E glue dries perfectly
clear, leaving all imperfections glaring through the keytop which were all
very well glued on now. The job looks terrible, even though there are now
keytops installed which I'm sure feel very much better than the key did
without the ivory. Even so, it is very obvious which keys had been bare for
a while. Should have I used another white glue, such as Titebond? I have
always stayed away from the regular white glues for keytops. Anyway, a word
to the wise. Don't do what I did. If you are going to use PVC-E glue for
ivory keytops, make sure the keytop surface is WHITE before gluing. Lesson
learned.

Richard
     Richard
    You missed a perfect oppurtunity to use hot hide with glue whiting which
would have give an invisible repair. This is how they were orginally glued on
& any residual glue on the keys or ivory would have been nicely reactivated
when th hot hide went on.this process does require the brass plates & clamps but
in my mind is the best of repairs.To undo what has happened now may not be
possible but heating with a white wwet linen to get the glue undone may work.
Then scrape & clean & see what happens
  Dale