No downbearing ?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:38:31 -0600

>I saved a couple of treble ribs from an old Knabe grand that were not only
>crowned, but laminated as well.
>
>Ron N
>
>    Ron- What vintage was that?
>    Dale

About 1901. The crown wasn't laminated, since the lamination was of one
thicker flat bottom, with the thinner top with the crown machined in. The
joint between the two parts was straight. It was like they had used the
clamp to a curve and saw technique to machine the crown, but needed a thin
enough piece in the short treble ribs to bend to the required curve. I
haven't measured it, and am not sure where it is at the moment, but the
curve looked considerably tighter than a 60' radius.

Ron N