Yamaha "Gray Market"

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 09:39:47 -0500

The other side of the coin. I live in the Rep. of Panama where the humidity
never dips below 50% and averages around 75%. People here have imported
pianos from the States, thinking they are a better quality and end up with
every action center bound up tight from the humidity. I think the Gray
Market pianos do very nicely down here.

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 7:20 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Yamaha "Gray Market"

There is nothing at all inferior about the manufacture of the "grey" market
Yamahas. The only difference is that the "grey" market pianos were
manufactured for consumption in Japan, which has a somewhat humid climate -
and home interiors do not experience the degree of dryness more common in
North American homes (I've also heard reports of something about the manner
in which they tend to heat their homes resulting in less drying). The pianos
made for the Japanese market have wooden components that were dried to a
relatively high moisture content compared to the pianos destined for the
North American market - which are dried to a lower MC.

I have heard many reports of Yamaha grey market pianos literally falling
apart when exposed to very dry climates. I live in Florida, where I have
never seen an indoor humidity dropping below 35% RH, service numerous grey
market Yamahas, and short of a walking center pin or two have never seen a
grey market Yamaha with any discernable humidity-related problem beyond
anything that one might commonly see on any American-made piano.

So, in my book, very little reason to be concerned with a Yamaha grey market
piano if you live in a humid climate and will not be subjecting the piano to
low RHs. Many reasons to be concerned with a Yamaha grey market piano if you
live in a climate that experiences very dry periods and will be subjecting
the piano to low RHs. How low is low and for how long? Not a clue.
Reportedly the 2% RH experienced in Saskatoon is dry enough to make 'em self
destruct, and 35% RH seem to generate no ill effects.

Now you need to be careful about some of these grey market pianos, because I
know that some of them are worn-out university practice-room pianos and the
piano makes an initial stop in Mexico to get new keytops, a fresh coat of
paint and a two-pedal-to-three-pedal conversion to earn the status of
"completely rebuilt"! We have a large importer of these grey market pianos
here in Tampa, and I have seen quite a range in the condition of these
pianos. They get anything from junk to very, very nice pianos. I helped my
son's piano teacher buy a 1983 Yamaha G5 grand from the importer. This piano
is virtually like new, no killer octave, great sound, nice little crown in
the soundboard, excellent action, it looks like new (original finish), she
just loves the piano, and she only paid $7,500 for it. She has had it two or
three years now, still loves it, and it seems to be behaving quite well.

Whereas I would not steer anyone away from a grey market Yamy, I would
suggest to them that the grey market status should earn some reduction in
price.

That's my take on it.

Terry Farrell