Yamaha "Gray Market"

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Sun, 04 Jan 2004 08:39:33 -0700

Norman,
I occasionally sell imported, used Kawais and Yamahas from Japan.  These
are great instruments which have been traded in for new instruments.  The
well-to-do Japanese often change furniture yearly and pianos almost as
often.  The pianos were not conditioned for the drier climate we experience
in the interior of the U.S.  Humid coastal climates where, even with
air-conditioning, the RH doesn't dip below 40% are OK.  Anywhere else a
Dampp-Chaser Piano Life Saver System is not optional.
If there are other perceived problems, I haven't encountered any in my
primary work as a technician.  Are there other perceived problems?

Andrew