Yamaha "Gray Market"

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:17:21 -0500

"Grey Market" actually applies to instruments (or other goods) that are =
sold illegally, by non-authorized vendors."

Illegally? I used to own a "grey market" Mercedes that was originally =
bought in Germany, and after a year was legally brought over to the US. =
The local Mercedes dealer snubbed his nose and me and my "grey market" =
Mercedes. I don't think the legality of the situation dictate the use of =
the term "grey market". In the case of the car it did not have the 5 mph =
bumpers, air pollution devices and it had a high-beam aiming device that =
is not permitted on US automobiles - that basically made it a grey =
market automobile. But I do believe the import was legal. I had a =
registration. Surely Jeb would not condone anything illegal.... It's not =
as if I were smuggling clothes into the US without paying duty.......

Terry Farrell

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Nichols=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 4:23 PM
  Subject: Re: Yamaha "Gray Market"

  At 05:36 AM 1/4/2004 -0500, you wrote:

    Folks,
            I could use a little information.  I am in the Washington, =
D.C.,=20
    area and have a set of customers that have purchased from the Yamaha =
or=20
    Kawai used "Gray Market" and have been enjoying their pianos for =
many=20
    years.  I notice no problems when I service them, and yet the recent =

    posts make them sound inferior.  What specifically am I missing =
about=20
    the "seasoning" that is done for the North American market?
                    Norman Brickman

  Norman,

     The other responses on this thread pretty much tell the story about =
used imports. They can be, just like any other used piano, quite worn =
out. They will be, like any import, a bit more susceptible to problems =
from extreme dryness.=20
     There is one rather "major" issue, though. With rare exception, =
these pianos are NOT "Grey Market". That term is mis-used when applied =
to used pianos from anywhere. "Grey Market" actually applies to =
instruments (or other goods) that are sold illegally, by non-authorized =
vendors.
  While I'm not on a crusade to fix nomenclature, this is an area where =
I feel like we should act like we're educated. It does rub against the =
grain, but nowhere near as much as "New-que-ler" !   %^)

  Guy Nichols, RPT
  Ft. Stinkin' Desert, NM

  oh... and Norman.... check back to last... uh... July's Journal.... =
the article titled "Black and White... or Grey?"