Paulello Wire (was RE: Depowering a Piano)

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 17:29:01 +0100

Paulello Wire (was RE: Depowering a Piano)Philip, thanks for your interest
in Paulello wire,  I'll get back to you soon with more data on the wire, I
just received some tables from stabilization experiences (comparison with
Roslau), and I am waiting for a more complete document soon, with the
methodology explained, and more physical data.

The different stiffness are produced with a thorough selection of number of
passes to thin the wire, the speed used, the heating, even for modern wire,
the passes are slower than for Roslau, hence the medium is said to tone
better (more "body" and definition).

Experiments are done actually to tin the wire (with electrolysis) before its
annealing , it seem to work well for the thinnest wires anyway, then the
wire should be also corrosion resistant if the process is applied.

I was explained how thick is the original material to begin with , the
"salmon" , should be around 3 inches, so a first workshop produce thick wire
rolls with this basic material, and other peoples are producing the final
wire (in another place) , applying the heat/passes/speed method. They have
been producing also simple breaking strength tests from time to time (others
are done in laboratory environment, but they are very expensive).

Greetings and a very good year.

Isaac OLEG