Old Bosie

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:27:28 +0100

Hi folks...

I had the pleasure of checking out an old, real old Bosendorfer this
eveing. Serial number 8224 puts it at around 1877. Straight strung, with
two struts, and no iron plate for the hitch pins. Struts were bolted
into a wooden hitch pin plank, and were embeded into the front plank
just forward of the pinblock. 4 bolts through the soundboard into the
beam structure for the long strut, 1 for the short. Johannes Brahms had
an identical instrument in his time, and it is still in one of the
houses where he lived.

This one is fully playable, actually just had new leather put on the
hammers. Pretty darn well regulated, heavy as can be... no
counterbalancing at all. Made for some great pianismo control tho... you
could play reeeeeaaaaaallllly soft with no problem... except you needed
good finger strength.

The owner just purchased it from the continent for 500 Eurodollars...
about 550 USD I guess. He wants to know what the recommended pitch for
this instrument is. Anybody have a clue ? I told him to tune it to 432 -
434 until he had firm information. Modern string material and tuning
pins have been installed at some point... not too long ago either from
the looks of it.

Neat old piano... charming sound, not thinned out at all tho sustain in
the upper treble is not all that tremendous.

Cheers
RicB