The Good kind of Heavy

Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:43:40 +0100

Hi Barbra, Andre, and Avery.

I hear you on the voicing count. But in this case we are talking
touchweight. This is my "experiement" piano and I take care to check
pianists comments against differing conditions. The voicing as been
really mushy, and very hard and bright and different times before the
hammer change. I get comments about that as well for sure. But this
"good kind of heavyness" comment has come so often about this piano that
I've made sure we are talking about touchweight.

Only thing I can think of off hand is that if an action first is to feel
<<heavy>> AND <<good>> then it is a high ratio that first and formost
that will do the trick. It will be interesting to see what I get for
comments now that the hammer mass is reduced so much. I ended up with
the same Balance weights with assist magnets engaged, tho if they were
disengaged it would be quite a bit reduced compared to the origional set
of hammers.

Grin... as to the "Ric Brekne sound"... its getting more consistant for
sure... but the old set of hammers could never have been voiced well no
matter what you tried. 30 hours of use a week, for 10 years takes its
toll :)

Cheers
RicB