Baldwin/Chickering accujust problem HELP???

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:33:46 -0700

At 05:14 PM 1/5/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a recent Chickering (Baldwin built) grand with the accujust
>hitchpins.  The first two bass strings cross over the tenor area hitchpins
>and in doing so touch them enough to rattle even on a soft blow.  Can I
>drive the hitch pins down in the plate or grind them off to reduce their
>height and thus eliminate the interference? What do I try? Surely someone
>else has had this problem. Thanks, TP

TP, (whoever you are),
     Are you sure the two bass strings aren't too low on their hitch pins?
If not, then check the relative height above the plate of the tenor pins
underneath to see if the pins are high. If not then grinding would be
better than driving. If they are high, then you may be able to drive them
in, but be sure to down-pitch (significantly) the tenor wires on those
pins. Re-set the wire height after getting the pins to an acceptable
height, of course. Charge appropriately.

GN

Guy Nichols, RPT
Chapter 799, Ft. Stinkin' Desert