The Good kind of Heavy

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:30:35 -0800 (PST)

Hi Barb,

I wish you'd been along with me this a.m. (well, at
least your brain). Had a call late last night from a
recording studio, his regular tuner had cancelled due
to the weather.  I agreed to show up at 7:30 this a.m.
(with Duane in tow) and tune a new 7' rental Schimmel.
 It wasn't too badly out of tune, but the darn thing
wouldn't settle down in the top couple of octaves.
Plus there were a bunch of false beats, hard hammers,
unlevel strings.  I did the best I could in the 90
minute time slot, but wasted so much time tuning,
there wasn't time to spend much time voicing, other
than seating the worst of the false beaters.

The fellow was quite particular (which I didn't mind),
but he kept finding inconsistencies in the voicing
that I didn't have the time or enough experience to
really deal with(and he didn't want to spend $$ on a
rental piano, anyhow).

Oh well.  I know, I know, learn a little at a time and
keep learning.  But I want to know it ALLLLLL right
now!

We're supposed to get another snow dump tonight.  I
don't have amything planned for tomorrow other than
laundry, maybe make a few calls, haul Doreen to the
bus and back.  Seattle kind of gets shut down when
there's signs of snow, so no telling what'll happen
with traffic.

We made the plunge and bought a new Ford van over the
weekend.  First time we've done anything that
extravagant.  Hope the tuning biz continues to grow
:-)

See ya,
Dave