Is A440 too much tension for old pianos? (was Old Bosie)

Hechler Family dahechler@charter.net
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:16:52 -0600

Cy,

I just had a tuning call for a Thiebes-Stierlin Cabinet Grand (upright)
(~1919) that was at least 100 cents flat. I just set Cybertuner to the
widest pitch raise setting and started from left to right going as fast
as possible. The first pass was just to get the strings close to pitch -
the bi-ads (right string) and tri-ads (left & right strings) pulled up
but not necessarily "tuned". On second pass, readjusted Cybertuner for
normal pitch raise and took a sampling. (Amazingly, A-440 read A-439.59)
and continued. By the end, the piano sounded great. Of course, as
always, I told the customer that the pitch raise, being that for off,
will hold for awhile. But because of the settleing it will have to do,
it will need another couple of tunings before it stays. Also,
suprisingly the pins were pretty snug - didn't find one sloppy pin -
which I thought was amazing for it's age.

Duaine

--

Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Organ, Pump Organ