The Good kind of Heavy

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:35:02 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 5:04 AM
Subject: Re: The Good kind of Heavy

> But its also important to help them to
> understand that in dealing with a technician they need to be able to
> express as clearly and precisely as is possible from a technical
> standpoint. Sure... its an uphill battle, but then communication in
> general always is IMB.

That's in my book, right?  My husband and I just had a wildly funny time
coming up with options for the B.  :-)

> > I know it's possible to separate touch from tone, but the connection is
> > so strong and can be sooooo deceiving, but I guess I've said that
> > before....
>
> Agreed. But you do the best you can to zoom in on whats what at any
> given time, yes ??

Of course!  And I have an almost a perfect record in figuring out what they
were referring to (lucky me!) or getting (if I was willing and it was
possible) the results they wanted.  There was just one case that stumped me,
and I can't tell you about it here, because it qualifies as politically
incorrect.  :-)

> > Can you do me a favor?  Next time you are talking to someone about the
> > heavy (but good) touch, ask them what it allows them to achieve
> > musically (or, if you will, does it allows something else not possible
> > on other pianos).  Just say there is a nutty female tech in the US that
> > wants to know.  ;-)
>
> Thats a good question to put at them for sure, tho no doubt the answers
> are going to be vague and wildly variant. Asking a pianist to express
> something in terms of musicality is asking them to speak their own
> language...

But, Riiiiiiiiiiiic, (I'm whining here), I AM a pianist (of sorts) and I
speak that language.  I guess that's why I'm really interested in what makes
them like it and keep hitting on the musical angle!

> that of the mage as it were :) That said, I don't think they
> play this piano much for its musicality... it's for exercise. Again
> tho.. it will be interesting to see how that picture develops as this
> instrument slowly gets put back into reasonably decent shape.

If it's for the exercise, that's OK.  But in my experience as a pianist, I
can't say I ever liked a piano just for the exercise (but that doesn't mean
it's not possible!).

> > accepted a job 900+  miles away.  Dang.
> >

> Bummer... MASH UNIT work...grin.. I like that concept here. Fits pretty
> good. Tho it does give you the freedom to experiment with pianos and
> pianists.

Well, I guess I missed my opportunity, I can't say I was ever creative
enough to be thinking of terms of experimenting.  I just tried to make PSOs
back into musical instruments.

> > Thanks, Ric, this discussion has been fun.
> >
> > Barbara Richmond, RPT
> > somewhere near Peoria, IL
> >

> Thanks to YOU Barbara :)  Illinois....  isn't that a suburb of Algona
> Iowa or something ?? :)

That's it!  And lot of corn is grown here, too.  A friend of mine has a
theory
about corn and how it seems to work as a truth serum on me...........

Looking forward to the results of your experiment--or, should I say, the
results of "Stump the Technician."   :-)

Barbara Richmond