accutuner as tuning fork

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:30:41 -0700

Now that's a cool trick to play on a doubtful customer!  As I'm taking
tuning as a profession more seriously now (not just my wife's grand) I'm
finding that most of my new customers haven't had a tech in years.  Pitch
raises are what I do most of.  They can hear the difference.  The piano
would sound dull, but after tuning it would be "alive".
Speaking of "alive," my mother-in-law has a 6' DH-Baldwin that is
distractingly "alive" when tuned.  I mean it rings a little too much for my
taste.  I've been debating whether I should revise how I stretch it, or if
I need to adjust some of the aliquots.  It has a lot of false beats
too.  Next time I'll insist on removing all the pictures and sculptures so
I can go after those.  I'm wondering if braiding might be called for or if
a little twist against the wire to put a tiny kink in it might help to
detune them a little.

Andrew Anderson
Las Cruces, NM