Heavy hammers

Thu, 8 Jan 2004 21:30:37 -0800

Ted:

Ignore my other message about what kind of hammers, didn't see this post.
Awhile back, Jon Page and Roger Jolly posted pictures of a jig for tapering
hammers glued to shanks with a table saw.  I can't find it now, but you
might inquire with them directly.  Depending on where the hammers are
bulky, how much they weigh and the type of moulding you can take quite a
bit off that way without compromising bore distance.  If the hammers are
bulky in the lower part of the hammer the felt can be trimmed as well.
You can also remove them from the shanks and run them through the table saw
with the Spurlock jig and then glue them back on.   It's a little more
awkward once the hammers have been tailed, but it can be done and it's a
lot cleaner than using a belt sander.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

What