Heavy hammers

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:35:18 -0700

Who's the rebuilder, Ted?  Sounds like they made some rather stupid =
choices, and/or didn't have a clue as to what they were doing. Often =
it's hard to try to undo a fundamental mistake, and easier to start over =
with the correct parts.
That being said, you could try taking material off the tails with a =
Spurlock radius jig, but then you may also have to taper the sides of =
the hammer. All this adds up to hours, and starts to cost real money, =
which the customer will feel they shouldn't have to pay for AGAIN.=20

Kevin E. Ramsey
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ted Simmons=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 4:27 PM
  Subject: Heavy hammers

  A piano teacher bought a used Yamaha G3 which had a nice touch before =
the
  rebuilder installed new hammers.  Now the touchweight is 65 grams and =
she
  and her students are complaining about the heavy touch.   I had a set =
of
  used Yamaha C3 hammers in my shop and substituted a couple of those =
hammers
  for the heavy ones and the touchweight dropped to 53 grams.

  What is the most expeditious way to remove some of the weight from the
  hammers?  I don't like the idea of using a sandpaper paddle to take =
that
  much weight off; too labor intensive and with today's modern tools =
there
  must be an easier way.  How would the list members handle this?

  Ted Simmons
  Merritt Island, FL