Heavy hammers

Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:05:19 +0100

Folks.. not meaning to be picky here... but just to be on the safe side,
perhaps its a good idea for the sake of clarity to underline that we are
talking BW here, and not DW.

A couple posts have come by equally vague and to the unitiated its
really easy to relate this to Downweight.

1 gram change in hammerweight yields about 5 grams change in BW.

Specifically : change in SW * SWR = change in BW

> General rule of thumb is that for
> every gram of weight you remove from the hammer you remove 4-5 grams at the
> key...mileage varies but that is close....

> 1 gram on the hammer is approx 5 grams on the touch.

That this can get confusing is easy to see in one post advised

> "But if you really have to go back from 65 g to 52 you have to obtain 2
> gr less on your hammers more or less"

Clearly the postee was thinking in terms of 1 gram of hammer weight to 5
grams of DW, and this is wrong. If the questoner had removed 2 grams of
hammer weight the resulting action would be extremely light.

Assuming that the above gram figures are Downweight figures, and
assuming any reasonable UW you get an increase in BW of 6.5 grams. Which
relates to about 1.2 grams of hammer SW.

Cheers
RicB