New to Tuning-Book Recommendations?

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 09:17:21

Hi Brett,

The first difficulty you are possibly encountering is to change the pitch
too much--thus leaving your tuning unstable to begin with.

If you tune up by fifths and down by fourths there are no "checks" and
"balances" for thirteen steps. So you must make each of those steps
perfectly. That is a very challenging and daunting process for an expert
tuner--let alone a neophyte.

I'd recommend you use one of the "self correcting" temperaments such as the
one here:

http://www.accu-tuner.com/SATIIImanual/apf.html

You may download the entire manual here:

http://www.accu-tuner.com/pdfs/Manual_54.doc.pdf

Do read all the apendixes.

Since you have a desktop computer you may wish to use a software program to
help you in the process of learning to tune. One such program is Tunelab
Pro. Look here:

http://tunelab-world.com/

There is a list of training places on the web site at:

http://www.ptg.org/schools.htm

There are residential, correspondence and individual training places
listed. Consider contacting the local chapter of the Piano Technicians
Guild to find out about their monthly meetings.

At 07:19 AM 1/11/2004 GMT, you wrote:

>Wow. There is an unbelievable wealth of information
>here. I am new to piano tuning and am very much
>interested in it. I am 21 years old, living in the
>State of Oregon, and am going to school for land
>surveying.

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/