tuning fork/decent living

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:41:22 -0700

on 1/10/04 12:48 PM, pianolover 88 at pianolover88@hotmail.com wrote:

>> Well I know of a tech who services only 2 pianos per day and makes
>> $1,200-1500 per 5-day week. It all depends on how much work you do on
> each
>> piano; PR, Cleaning, action work, accessories, etc.
>>
>> Terry Peterson
>

> Ah, accessories.  Now I get it.
>
> sid

2 pianos a day is my usual workload, 2.5-4.0 hours per piano. I charge by
the hour($110.00); I'm in a major urban area; my clients are mostly wealthy
or seriously committed to their instruments; I make a good living in a
hellishly expensive part of the country. I also am the "general contractor"
on piano restoration jobs, using my partner's shop for most of the action
work, and subbing out most of the rest of it to trusted, long-time
colleagues. A lot of complete Steinway and M&H restorations; a lot of
new-or-rebuilt action "performance enhancement" work using Stanwood's
measurement protocols as applied by Stephen Bellieu, my brilliant and
talented partner.

My belief is that anyone can succeed beyond their expectations in any
business or craft if they love the work, are good at the work, and practice
the Golden Rule.

And be nice.
And don't smell.
And pet their dog.

Happy, blessed weekend.......David Andersen