Toes of Steel (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:59:00 -0500

Dear List

I don't know if anyone else has tried this before, installation of
casters on this model of Yamaha console never designed to have them.
It's a 1968 piano at the alternative pilot school where my younger son
is in 9th grade. I was at a beginning-of-the-year clean-up and someone
mentioned that it would be nice to put casters on the piano, as it was
quite tippy on the four-wheel dolly they moved it around on. Clearly
the narrow base needed to be expanded by the addition of standard
toe-blocks, but the minimal construction of the piano made that look
dicey. Then I remembered a 4' length of 2"x3"x1/4" iron anlge back at
my shop, and among the parents there was one who did his own welding.
So I sent him off with a drawing of the cut-out necessary to allow
removal of the bottom board.

"A few months passed" (as they say in the fairy tales, and as usually
the case in unfunded R&D), and I did the installation last week.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Yam<.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 34756 bytes
Desc: not available

Here are the angle toes with plate casters and back plates welded on.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: SteelToes.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 19648 bytes
Desc: not available

As you can see, there wasn't much to tie the carriage bolts into, but=20
with the weight of the piano resting snuggly in the angle iron it=20
seemed to me the only thing to stress the fastening here would be=A0=20
someone slamming the casters into a steel threshold, ging from one room=20=

to another. Fortunately, inside the building there were none of those.=20=

Note the 1/4" dia. lag in the corner of the caster plate going up into=20=

the beech bottom of the back frame. For good measure. All fasteners are=20=

located so that they can be tightened with out removing the bottom=20
board or even tipping the piano.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: YamCloseup.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 28422 bytes
Desc: not available

The finished installation, all set for walnut-tone Rustoleum.
Apparently I forgot the final shot, with the piano upright and its
panels back on. Believe me, it rolls like a limo!

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Yam>.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 32616 bytes
Desc: not available

So, I'll keep an eye on this installation as it goes through the years.=20=

But now, with serious casters and its base expanded by 50%, it's much=20
safer. And ready to roll!

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"May you work on interesting pianos."
=A0=A0=A0 ...........Ancient Chinese Proverb