Where did the RH Go

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:48:30 -0500

Hi Don,

> I did not say your system didn't work. What I said was a DC system would
> work even better.

Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  I don't mean to be argumentative on this point.  I'm
really asking a question here:  Have you (or has anyone else) done
measurements with a good, accurate hygrometer on a complete DC grand
installation, during dry ambient conditions, showing that humidity is indeed
evenly distributed all over the soundboard, both under and on top, and in
the action cavity?  Also, have the same measurements been done inside the
piano with a closed lid and inside the action cavity during predominantly
dehumidifying periods?  In other words, are DC's claims fully substantiated,
as determined empirically with a hygrometer?  I've heard lots of claims
regarding stability of pitch.  That's all well and good, of course.
However, how well does the DC system regulate humidity (in contrast to
pitch)?

> I do recommend room type humdifiers as well--but only to "assist" a DC
> unit. If it is a choice of one or the other the DC provides much better
> year round control than is generally possible with a room type. There are
> exceptions, but they are very rare.

This sounds like a reasonable approach.

> Do you have measurements for the summer time? Where I am I have documented
> as low as 4% and as high as 84%.

Without humidification, humidity levels inside my house vary from 27% in the
winter to 67% in the late fall.  I have forced heat and refrigerated A/C,
BTW.  I suspect humidity levels are far different in other parts of the
state.  I'm in Central Ohio.  In the lake areas, humidity is undoubtedly
much higher during moderate weather.  Also, I have no idea what humidity
levels occur in other people's homes here in Columbus.  (I don't service
their pianos. <grin>)

> I would love to have a controller for a DC type system that had much
> narrower limits. I know, for example, that rare bird hatcheries have units
> that are calibrated to 1/10 of one percent humidity that power an
> "electronic" fan (read no blades--some sort of vibrating plate) combined
> with an ultrasonic humidifer. I'd love to get my pinkies on one!

Well, I can't boast 0.1% limits with my system (WOW!!), but I do quite a bit
better than the specs DC boasts.  I did a 100% non-DC-brand installation on
my concert grand, using a GE humidistat that cycles the system adjustably
between 40 - 44% (or occasionally as widely as 39 - 45%) when the ambient RH
is in the upper 40's.  The installation is fairly recent, so I haven't yet
been able to observe its behavior at higher humidity levels.  I'll give you
an update in the spring if you're interested.

Peace,
Sarah