Toes of Steel (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:15:28 -0500

At 9:02 AM +0100 1/12/04, Richard Brekne wrote:
>Bill.. Not meaning to put down the obvious creativity here... but dont they
>sell casters mounted on steel runners that dont raise the piano up more then a
>mm or two over there ?

Sure they do, and the piano could have been set unto any of them. But
the challenge is in tying the piano down to these trucks and dollies.
With a (approx.) 14" depth, the piano is very tippy, whether it's
sitting on the floor on on these frames. The strongest part of the
piano to tie to is the side panels, being nice large, rigid
rectangles. The bottom edge of the soundboard liner is pretty flimsy.
As far as the backposts, it would have to be the corner ones. That's
still only tying in at the back. In the front, things again are very
flimsy.

Looking at the Jansen catalog (http:/www.pljansen.com), it's
difficult to say how any of these would have worked, and what the
necessary modifications would have been without actually having them
on hand and being prepared to shipped them back if they were
unworkable. None of them want to tie into the sides. Remember, this
is a piano which was never designed for toe blocks and was meant to
be dragged into place by the wall of the living room and never moved
again.

>Seems like a lot of work to go to to construct your own design for one piano.

This is was the piano which they were donated whether or not it was
up to "school-board code". With a slim budget all around and the low
cost of materials and the donated labor (3 hours of my labor and I
don't know the other guy's time  for torch-cutting and arc-welding),
it was the "appropriate technology". Call it cussed Yankee
individualism. <g>

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"No, Please wait, you're all individuals" Brain Cohen, exasperated
"Yes, we're all individuals"  the throng assembled in the street
                 below his window, in unison
"I'm not..."  Lone dissenter.
     ...........Monty Python's "Life of Brian"