Where did the RH Go

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:40:47 -0500

I don't think anyone is questioning the effects of RH changes on the =
tuning of a piano.

I'm with Sarah and feel that proper full environment humidity control is =
the best way to go - better than a full DC installation.

I think where the arguement comes in is the fact that probably 99% of =
full environment humidity control systems are improperly designed, =
poorly functioning, turned off and windows opened up, turned off over =
the holidays and summer, etc., etc.

But this does not change the fact that if one installs a proper full =
environment humidity control system that holds the RH constant within a =
few percent, it will be more effective than a full DC.

And don't forget that even if you hard-wire the DC system into the wall, =
who is ever going to notice that the circuit breaker tripped 15 months =
ago and the piano hasn't had any humidity control since that time?

In my shop I have a Sears basement-type dehumidifier. It keeps the shop =
right at 45% RH (within a percent or two). I never varies. How in the =
world is a DC unit on a piano in my shop going to work better, or do =
anything at all besides vapor, dry, vapor, dry, vapor, dry, etc., etc.?

So I guess the bottom line is that if one is willing to set up a proper =
full environment humidity control system that holds the RH constant =
within a few percent, that is the best way to go. From a practical =
standpoint, knowing that 90-some% of full environment humidity control =
systems are not going to be real effective, the full DC-type system is =
the way to go (they DO work quite well). And as someone pointed out, =
from a practical standpoint a full DC-type system in a piano which is in =
an environment modified by a full environment humidity control systems =
is the best around.=20

Flame Suite Tighly Zipped,

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20