Bridge Cap Grain Angle

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:35:48 EST

In a message dated 1/13/2004 5:25:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
Got to thinkin'........

My understanding of bridge cap material grain angle is that is should follow
the curvature of the bridge as close as is possible because maple is strongest
regarding compression forces to application of that force parallel to the
grain.

So in the upper treble where the strings are roughly perpendicular to the
bridge, this would work just fine. But in the tenor section where the strings
might be 45 degrees to the bridge, does this rule hold true? Would there not be
some advantage to having the cap grain perpendicular to the strings?

Any thoughts?

Terry Farrell
     Well I would think so. Having the grain in this orientation would cause
the force of the string against the pin to lean in to the grain instead of
against it if that makes sense. However Knabes typically did this and there caps
are usually split more predictably  than others. What do I know.
   Dale