Bridge Cap Grain Angle

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 06:33:39 -0600

>I guess I haven't notched enough bridges to have noticed how grain angles
>may affect notching ease. So, making a notch that is parallel to the grain
>is more difficult than if the grain is at a small angle? More difficult
>because it is harder to push a chisel through the wood, or more difficult
>to get a nice clean cut? I don't have a grip on it being harder to push,
>but I can envision it being more difficult to get the clean cut. Which is
>it, or is it both or something else?

It's harder to control. Pushing the chisel cross grain makes for lots of
chipping and splinters rather than shavings.

>I'll buy that, but what does cause false beats in the tenor? I service a
>number of "good" (or should be good) pianos (Steinways, Yamahas, etc.)
>that have numerous false beats in strings in the tenor agraffe section.
>Prominent slow beats usually.

I'm not entirely sure, but string leveling seems to make the most obvious
difference.

>Like I say, I haven't done a lot of notching, but I seem to recall that
>while notching my first laminated cap, I noticed the increased effort
>required (actually, I think I came to that conclusion on the first notch!
>- just to be clear, I would say that notching the laminated cap requires
>more effort, but is not too difficult).

At least with the low angle laminate. Try a couple of notches in a scrap
piece of Delignit. That stuff actively fights back.

Ron N