Piano stringing scales

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:58:26 +0200

He means that in the 2nd case the overtones start developing on loud =
playing, while in the 3rd case they are being produced in abundance even =
at normal playing and cause distortions at loud playing. I don't know if =
louder playing changes the inharmonicity of a string in any way, and =
Fenner doesn't say anything about this. My guess: it's just the fact =
that you hear more partials with loud playing.
I have never tried analysing the harmonic spectrum of a piano's note and =
comparing it to other brands in terms of inharmonicity and volume of the =
different partials - if anybody here did, please share your findings =
with us. I assume that much of the tonal character of an instrument is =
given by the amplitudes of the different partials in relation to =
eachother and to the fundamental.
I wonder if the reason I like the Bechstein sound so much is connected =
to inharmonicity or to the mix of partials or maybe both. What I can say =
for myself (about old Bechsteins though) is that they tend to have a =
very rich and brilliant sound even at moderate volume levels.=20

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cy Shuster=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 9:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Piano stringing scales

  Why is it that louder playing results in "overtones higher than =
acceptable" in one case, but "gives colour" in another case? =20

  What's the mechanism here?  Does he imply that louder notes have more =
inharmonicity, or is it just that you can't hear as many partials on =
softer notes?

  --Cy Shuster--
  Rochester, MN
    ----- Original Message -----=20