Software questions MiniMens

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:54:50 -0600

Hi guys:

Decibels are a measure of the intensity *level* of sound and are an
arbitrary scale based on the ratio of the intensity of a given sound with a
reference intensity.

What does that mean?  Well, sound intensity is basically the rate of energy
transmitted by a sound wave per unit area.  Rate of energy is "power" and is
joules-per-second, or "watts".  So sound intensity is measured in watts per
square meter (W/m^2).  Since the human ear/brain is sensitive to a huge
range of intensity, a logarithmic scale (decibels) is used to make units
more manageable.  The average ear can hear sounds anywhere from 1 W/m^2 to
0.000000000001 W/m^2.  Once we convert this to decibels it is from 120 dB to
0 dB...a lot easier, huh?

Decibels are not a linear measure of perceived "loudness".  In other words,
a sound of 4 dB doesn't sound twice as loud as a 2 dB sound, nor do two
sources of 2 dB add up to 4 dB.  In fact there is no direct relation between
either decibels or intensity and loudness perception.  "Loudness" is
strictly psychological and subjective.

A system of units for loudness has been developed that involves
experimenting with human subjects and asking them which sounds are louder
and then correlating them with intensity levels.  The unit of loudness is a
"sone".  A sound of four sones has twice the percieved loudness as two
sones, etc.  But "how many decibels in a sone" has a different answer for
different pitches.  A sone is about 70 dB at 60 Hz, but only about 35 dB at
3000 Hz.  So there is no simple rule of thumb for loudness in terms of dB.

Hope this helps!

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City