Hammer Felt Gluing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:58:19 -0500

FWIW:

Many threads have touched on hammer felt that has popped off its molding =
and how to glue it back on. I tuned a trashy little 1960s Mason & Hamlin =
Aeolian console today that 2-1/2 years ago had most of its "green =
monster" hammer felt falling off the molding. Back then, I applied thick =
CA glue to the felt or molding and hit them with the accelerator. The =
ones that seemed OK, I put a spot of CA at the tapered back edge of the =
felt/molding interface. To date, all hammer felts seems to be holding up =
well. The piano sounds crappy, but the crappyness is even across the =
scale - I don't think it is much deteriorated from how it likely sounded =
new. Anyway, I deem the MAJOR CA glue job a success!

Terry Farrell