Mystery Steinway action

Greg DesBrisay g.desbrisay@ieee.org
15 Jan 2004 12:39:18 -0800

Bob,

Didn't my message from the 11th go through?

This action looks surprisingly like the action in my 1931 Haines
Brothers baby grand. I sent pictures of the Haines Brothers
action to this list in October.

After studying your pictures some more, I'll modify my original message
to say that I'm not sure if the function is exactly the same because I
can't tell where the rear end of the springs go.  The forward ends are
attached to the hammer flanges; where are the other ends attached, the
hammer butts or the jacks?

On the Haines Brothers action the springs are repetition springs and
serve to keep the hammers raised after an initial key stroke and to
allow the jacks to sneak back under the hammer butts for repeated key
strokes.   They are attached on one end to the front side of the jacks
and at the other end they ride in a slot on the underside of the hammer
butts.

Here are the instructions printed on the hammer butt rail of the 1931
Haines Brothers baby grand action for adjusting the repetition springs.
Perhaps they'll be useful to you:

	"NOTE--IMPORTANT--Repetition springs are so designed and set as to
require a minimum of adjustment.  They shold not be touched UNLESS
action fails to repeat properly.  Necessary adjustments should be made
by SLIGHTLY bending spring inward to strengthen, outward to weaken. This
is done with a tool made to fit between the coil and jack. When the key
is struck firmly, then slowly released, the hammer should raise
slightly.  It will do this when the spring is set in proper position."

(I've included the entire text here for completeness, obviously you can
ignore the warnings!  78^) )

Disclaimer--I'm a rank amateur at this, so if I've described something
incorrectly, please, someone, jump in and correct me!

Best Regards,

Greg DesBrisay