Nomenclature? - was brass flange parts supplier?

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:15:23 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 10:56 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Nomenclature? - was brass flange parts supplier?

In a message dated 1/15/04 5:04:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tomtuner@comcast.net writes:

,
Tom,

It IS a butt-plate, butt it is shaped differently and is not something
likely to be replaceable with any kind of universal part.  Like I said,
though, I do not have a focused mental image of this.  It was several
weeks ago that I saw it, but this is the first time I've had time to
even think about doing anything about it.

Dave Stahl

            Dave,

            Back to my point---if it is a butt plate why call it a
tongue?

            I don't mean to be annoying on this point, but in my opinion
as professional technicians we serve the trade, our customers and
ourselves by using correct terminology. My intention is not to belittle
anyone here, but to encourage the use of correct nomenclature .I might
not comprehend the more advanced discussions on piano design, but I can
at least use the correct terms in my modest contributions to this list.

 I have seen this point taken too far by some. The whippen-wippen choice
an example in my opinion. Use either one and were all on the same page.
End of Sermon   <GRIN>

            Tom ---Still freezing here in Mass. ---Driscoll