Pronunciation of KNABE?

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:31:56 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

At 07:14 AM 1/15/2004, you wrote:
>We say KUH-NAH-BEE, but I've heard the German pronuciation as KUH-NAH-BUH.
>What does everyone here say?
>
>John Minor
>University of Illinois

These derned foreigners.  Why don't they change their names to something we
Amuricans can pronounce?  Knabe ist ein deutsches Wort for boy or lad.  Why
didn't he change his name to Mr. Lad or Mr. Boy or something?

Anyway, since he didn't, and since the pianos were made in Baltimore, I'd
say that makes it an American name by default, so why are we worrying about
how they pronounce it in some other god forsaken country.  So, this makes the
K silent and the e on the end an indication that the a ought to be long.  So it should be
pronounced NAYB (rhymes with ABE, as in Lincoln - a real Amurican, gosh
darn it, with a name everyone can pronounce).

anon.