A "Rubber Band Sound"

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:13:26 -0500

Subject: A "Rubber Band Sound"

Yesterday, I spent some time with a Kawai Console, doing some voicing
and
tracking down rattles, buzzes, zings and, (to quote the client), "a
rubber
band sound". She even went and got a large rubber band to
demonstrate!<G>
The sound emits from F69, which is the first note w/o a damper. At
first, I
thought she was referring to the sustain, but on closer listening, sure
enough, there is a sound that sounds like a rubber band, under tension,
being plucked! Danged if'n I could isolate where it was coming from!
Truly
frustrating. Have any of y'all heard such a sound? It's a new one on me
and
I would really like to solve the problem, if possible. Feedback
appreciated!<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Joe,
	Only a wild guess, but I think this action has a rail in front
of the damper lever wires. I don't have a kawai action diagram
available, but I think these rails mount with metal brackets to the main
action rail, extending past the last damper. Could it be out of place
and interfering with the hammer shank on this note? I can envision this
thing vibrating like a tuning fork if struck.
	Or maybe it's a rubber band under tension being plucked.
	Tom ---Still cold in Mass.--- Driscoll