Steinway casters orientation

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:36:19 +0100

It shows up immediately , as a difference in bedding, but I have only
checked front to rear orientation, and possibly the change is larger
then because the effort arm (base of the feet) is longer that way .

What I like to investigate more is the tonal effect, the tone changes
because of the bedding of course (this is very noticeable even by non
tuners) , but plucking the strings seem to show a change in the
spectra, more lower partials 1 & 2 , and possibly a tad of sustain,
depending of the piano, certainly, but is it remaining after some time
?

On that process I'd turn the tail roller toward the inside of the
piano then, while the effect there may not be the same than in the
front which is nearer of the center of gravity.

To check the bedding change (with caster orientation change) it is
easier to allow a very light knock to remain , then checking it is
easier than ascertaining the difference in pressure on a bedded one.

I also believe that as we don't have regulating screws for the back
and the front of the keyframe, keeping the keybed in shape is
interesting, as well as for pianos without regulating screws.

Isaac OLEG

>  In any event there is a simple and direct test for this type
> thingee.........Do a good regulation of a grand with the
> caster knuckles oriented toward the keys and when you are satisfied
with the regulation orient
> the caster knuckles  toward the sides and observe the effect on your
> regulation......you might  need to let the piano set for a couple of
hours to observe
> the difference but it  will show up....this thingee is particuarly
noticeable on  S&S but is apparent  on all makes in my opinion.