S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:37:44 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0062_01C3DCBC.0819B250
If the original geometry is good, then just replace the originals with =
the original-type 16 mm shanks and flanges. Abel makes 'em, and I'm sure =
other suppliers have them also.

I did not get further than the first few pages of Mr. Mohr's book. =
Heaven forbid - please don't tell me he recommends changing action =
geometry - improving on the design of the original masters? YIKES!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Gamble=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 5:05 AM
  Subject: Fw: S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Gamble=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 8:58 PM
  Subject: S&S replacing Hammer Assemblies with new

  Hello List
  Happy New Year
  I am currently coming to terms with the need to replace an entire set =
of Hammer Assemblies in a 1913 Model A S&S. There is one problem. An =
important dimension (measured in mm) needs to be addressed. It seems =
that on the older S&S this dimension from the Hammer Flange Centre Pin =
to the core of the Roller (Knuckle) was 16mm, while those on the newer =
S&S models is 17mm. To change just the Hammer Assemblies involves =
elongating the slot in the old Lever (Whippen) through which the Jack =
does its work. It can indeed get more complex than this. One could =
change the Lever (Whippen) as well, but that would put the touch in the =
wrong place on the Key and make it necessary to replace the keys as =
well. The reason for replacing the Keys is that in the old Keys the =
Balance-rail would be in the wrong place - that's why the touch would be =
too heavy. The new Levers do not have Spring Assists and the touch would =
therefore be too heavy if the keys were not replaced as well. This =
option is expensive - albeit a preferred route to take were money no =
object.
  Have you all read, marked and learned from Franz Mohr's book "My Life =
with the Great Artists"? In this book Franz takes one along the =
"preferred" route quite convincingly. You know Franz, of course, as the =
"Head Concert Technician" to S&S.
  One thing which has not been made quite clear in S&S action diagrams =
is.... precisely from where - to - where is this dimension of Hammer =
Flange Center - to - Knuckle Core taken? It could be from the middle of =
the Knuckle Core to the middle of the Hammer Flange Centre - or - It =
could be from the core-face of the Knuckle (on the Hammer side) to the =
middle of the Hammer Flange Centre - and there's a whole millimeter =
difference between the two.
  Anyone like to take up this Topic? Please?
  Regards
  Michael G (UK)
                         Keyboard tuner to Glyndebourne since 1980=20
                   =20
                          Michael Gamble
                          Piano/Harpsichord Tuner/Tech.  "Westwick"
                          29 Shepherds Way
                          Ringmer
                          Sussex BN8 5LT
                          UK =20