tuning instability/plate struts

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:17:10 EST

List

Certainly I think we can agree that strings near the plate struts go out of
tune more than those in the center of their sections.   And when it comes to
the tenor break, I think I can understand why this would happen.   The treble
bridge ends there, often the stringing scale goes to copper-wound strings for
the last couple of unisons and I imagine the tension of those strings differs
from their steel neighbors.   And right on the other side of the break, the
strings are strung across in another direction; all of those things could probably
contribute to instability, although I say this not out of knowledge of the
situation, but just looking at it in a logical (but basically uninformed) way.

But why does this also happen in the treble break?   Often there's one
continuous bridge.   Steel strings on both sides.   All strung parallel.   And yet
notes on either side of this break generally go out quicker and farther.

Why should those strings be less stable?

Tom Sivak